Another fantastic pasta substitute! All of these low carb pasta ideas are making my new year’s resolutions a lot easier. Thank you, Skinny Taste for this awesome low carb and gluten free lasagna recipe. Gina made this lasagna with beef, but you could easily leave it out for a vegetarian option. You could also use eggplant in place of zucchini.
By replacing the lasagna noodles with thin sliced zucchini you can create a delicious, lower carb (gluten-free) lasagna that’s loaded with vegetables, and you won’t miss the pasta!
I’ve made this a gazillion times and even shared it in my first cookbook. Since zucchini tends to be very watery, grilling it first is a must (I use my grill pan). After it’s grilled, I leave it on paper towels to soak up extra water while I make the sauce.
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium (8 ounces each) zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 16 oz (4 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt.
- When cooked drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan,
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered.
- Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes.
- Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture.
- After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly browned.
- Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×12 casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
- The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
You can find complete recipes of this Zucchini Pasta Lasagna in recipebyphoto.com