These teriyaki veggie spring rolls are light and tasty and surprisingly filling. Made with simple, healthy ingredients, they are quick and easy to assemble.
I love spring rolls but I always imagined they were a lot of work and difficult to assemble. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I whipped these up in less than half an hour the other night when my daughter had a hankering for sushi and the sushi guy at the health food store near my husband’s office was disappointingly absent.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I grabbed some ingredients I had on hand and mixed them together to see if I could make something to satisfy her craving – she’s been working hard in school and I thought she deserved a treat.
I had purchased some brown rice spring roll wrappers the last time I went shopping with the idea that I would attempt making my own. Since my daughter has to follow a gluten-free diet I try to come up with creative ways to keep her meals – especially the lunches I pack her – interesting. However, I tend to procrastinate when it comes to trying something new, so the spring roll wrappers had been sitting in the cabinet.
- 8 brown rice spring roll wrappers
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 avocado pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cucumber medium, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (try my homemade recipe)
- Pulse onion in a food processor fitted with an S blade until it is chopped finely.
- Scrape chopped onion into a large mixing bowl and repeat the chopping process separately with the carrots,
- celery and spinach until all are finely chopped and added to the mixing bowl.
- For best results, chop spinach 2 cups at a time.
- Add almonds and teriyaki sauce to the chopped vegetables, stir to mix well and set aside.
- Slice cucumber and avocado into long thin strips and set aside.
How to Assemble
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and set it next to a large plate.
- Submerge one spring roll wrapper in the warm water for about 20 seconds and then place the wrapper on the large plate.
- Place 2-3 tbs of the chopped vegetables in the center of the wrapper.
- Add 2 slices of cucumber and 1-2 slices of avocado
- Carefully fold front of wrapper over the veggies and then fold the sides over and
- roll forward to wrap the back and seal the roll.
You can find complete recipes of this TERIYAKI VEGGIE SPRING ROLLS in veggieprimer.com