So…heart healthy week is over. Really, this blog is a total oxymoron. Or is it conflict of interest?
Oh well, let’s just agree that, no matter what, Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars are worth every calorie, okay?
I love my dog, I really do. She’s a total sweetheart. Ginger is a golden retriever and she’s 12 but you’d never know it unless you had to watch her go up the stairs at night. During the day? She has no problem bounding up and down, but by nightfall she regrets her decision to look for kleenex in every trash can in the house 10 times during the day.
Ginger is nothing if not quirky. She eats kleenex and napkins, will only shred paper towels and won’t touch toilet paper rolls. She doesn’t understand the end of Daylight Savings Time, so since October she whines from 4pm-5pm wondering why I haven’t fed her. And, when given a choice, she will sleep with her head on a pillow instead of flat on the ground.
Last week Ginger got groomed. While she was away, I washed her bed. The result? A fluffy, clean dog and a really lumpy bed. Ginger was not amused. She wasn’t happy when I laid it down for her, when I tried to smooth it out, and she wasn’t happy all. night. long.
It was like Princess and the Pea only worse because it actually happened. All night long. The poor thing couldn’t get comfortable and she let me know it by shaking. And moving. And chewing. Did I mention she did this all night long?
Today we’re both tired. She’s napping. I’m working. Lucky girl!
Since I’m tired, I want comfort food. Is there anything more comforting than chocolate chip cookies?
How about chocolate chip cookie gooey bars? Yes?
- 1 cup unsalted Challenge Butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk (you can use regular SCM if you can’t find the fat-free)
- 1 (4.4 ounce) large Hershey bar (or smaller bars to make that same size)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, about 6 minutes, until it becomes brown in color. It will foam, reduce, then foam again. Once it’s done cooking the foam is a light brown and it will dissipate after you remove it from the heat. Once it starts to brown, keep stirring so it doesn’t burn. Let sit for about 5 minutes to cool.
- Pour into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
- While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
You can find complete recipes of this CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE GOOEY BARS in crazyforcrust.com