cooking non-stop. If you’re looking for a delicious main dish that will take only 30 minutes to make, look no further than this Better Homes and Gardens recipe for Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet. This meal has just the right amount of protein (chicken), vegetables and fiber (asparagus and squash), and is very flavorful! It’s gluten free and paleo-friendly, and is great for those who are on Atkins or low-carb diet!
This recipe is made in just 2 easy steps! Cook the chicken with bacon until the chicken is browned evenly on both sides, then add some chicken broth, cover the skillet and let the chicken cook for about 5 more minutes until it’s completely cooked through Next (or, you can do it as the first step, before cooking the chicken and bacon) – cook the asparagus and squash in a small amount of water (2 tablespoons) until crisp-tender.
Combine everything, and voila, your dish is ready!
The recipe calls for 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs. I used 2 large chicken breasts (about 1.8 pounds total) – I cut each breast in half horizontally, to make them thinner and easier to manage – that’s what you see on the photos above.
The recipe calls for cooking the vegetables in the microwave. I cooked them in the skillet instead. Here is how to do it: Add trimmed asparagus and sliced squash to the large skillet, along with 2 Tbsp. water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender, and the water evaporates.
This can actually be the very first step in the recipe, and then you can remove the vegetables from the skillet, pat dry the skillet and cook the chicken and the bacon in the same skillet!
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 small yellow summer squash, halved crosswise and cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 4 green onions, cut in 2-inch pieces
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In 12-inch skillet cook chicken and bacon over medium-high heat 12 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Carefully add broth; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink (180 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe 2-quart dish combine asparagus, squash, and 2 Tbsp. water.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Cover with vented plastic wrap.
- Cook on 100% power (high) 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Transfer to plates. Drizzle cooking liquid; top with chicken, bacon, and onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
You can find complete recipes of this Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet in bhg.com